Friday, February 13, 2009

Baker's Dozen Day!

Ah, Friday the 13th. For some it's just another day.  For triskadekaphobes, it's a scary time.  For paraskevidekatriaphobes, it's downright terrifying. 

Chill out, guys.  For the triskas, our baker's dozen of buffalo egret wings comes with 14, not the scary number.  And for the paras, we've renamed today Valentine's Day Eve. Have a drink, relax by the fireplace, and try not to think of 13s. (oops, sorry.)

For those of you who are the most frightened -- the clueless guys (sometimes called commitmentphobes, sometimes just called dumb***es) who are desperately shopping for cards, flowers, jewelry or candy at the last minute -- we've got you covered too. BBQMC gift cards are available in various denominations.  Nothing says "I care about you" more than slow-roasted sea cow in secret sauce!  Gift cards are valid any time, at any BBQMC location. See your server for details.

For me, Valentine's Day is bittersweet this year. My mom, who ran her own flower shop for 27 years, passed away last June.  I miss the calls telling me how frantic she and my grandmother were getting as their biggest sales day of the year approached. I'd usually talk to Mom several times in February, with the last call about a week before Valentine's Day, and nothing more until a few days after.  In the first call, she'd usually be fretting about how many roses and carnations to order.  In the second, nine times out of 10, she'd be happily telling me about a new sales record.

N0w that's gone.  Fortunately, my grandmother's still going strong at 85, and still running the shop.  But I miss those conversations with Mom -- especially since her beloved University of Kentucky Wildcats beat Florida's Gators in basketball a few days ago. 

One lesson Mom and my dad taught me was how to spoil someone you care about. That means Executive Chef Heatherann has lots of goodies coming her way for Valentine's Day.  That's the sweet part.

So, Happy Valentine's Day to all. Remember to hug your mother, and consider this -- those $60/dozen roses you're grumbling about the price of just might be helping to put someone through college.  They did for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment