Wednesday, July 15, 2009

This I Believe!


 Dave Schlenker, is, I believe, the best writer at the Ocala Star-Banner, and one of the finest writers I've read anywhere.  I believe he won't mind if I borrow the idea from a recent column of his, especially since he borrowed it from National Public Radio.

 I believe in many things, not least of which is the power of the written word.  This, I believe, will remain a primary form of communication for centuries to come.

 I believe men and women are more alike than we are different.

  I believe there is far too much to be learned to be able to learn it all in one lifetime.

  I believe that music can ignite the imagination, soothe the soul, inspire the mind and heal the body.

  I believe the best-engineered vacuum cleaners in the world are made in Germany. I believe the best-built vacuum cleaners in the world are made in Cleveland, Ohio and Andrews, Texas. 

  I believe "Network," not "Rocky" should have been Best Picture of 1976.

 I believe no one faith has a monopoly on heaven.

 I believe in soulmates, and that I've found mine.

  I believe instant coffee, like non-dairy creamer,  is a crime against nature. I believe anything labeled "instant espresso" merits the death penalty.

  I believe the death penalty brings society down to the level of the criminal.

  I believe both dogs and cats were sent to us from the Creator to demonstrate what unconditional love is.

  I believe small towns are over-romanticized.

  I believe living in a world-class city in my 20s made me a better citizen of both my own country and the world.

  I believe there's ample proof the Creator has a sense of humor.

  I believe old German cars, whether VW, Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Opel, all smell the same inside -- a mix of engine oil, well-baked upholstery, cracking dashboards and  gasoline.

 I believe cats and keyboards should not mix.

  I believe there are no coincidences.  We are all in each others' lives for a reason, regardless of how we came to be there.  I believe that reason is not always clear to us, but it's still there.

  I believe the sound of a cat snoring is really cute.

  I believe in Santa Claus.

  I am a happy soul, because I am blessed in too many ways to count.  This I believe.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment