Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Just Say No to No?

Had an interesting discussion with a family member over the weekend.  He's a  longtime veteran salesman, selling expensive high-tech equipment to medical facilities.

Somehow we got onto the matter of dealing with salesfolks.  He maintained a potential buyer should NEVER say no to a sales rep, because it's rude, politically incorrect and damaging to the rep's ego and sense of self.  

Instead, he wants the customer to say "maybe," then when the rep calls back at a later date, tell him/her that the budget doesn't allow the purchase, or that it doesn't fit the buyer's needs, or whatever.

Excuse me? When did a simple, straightforward, politely delivered "no" become rude?

Don't get me wrong.  I have the utmost respect for good salesmen and saleswomen.  It's a tough job, and one I know I'm too introverted to do well.

In my former career as a hospital housekeeping department manager, I dealt with all kinds of salespeople, selling everything from floor scrubbing machines to paper towels and soap.  Believe me, a good sales rep is an asset to a department manager, introducing new products to improve productivity, offering to train department members, and keeping up with the buyer's needs.

But if I can't afford what the rep's selling, or it doesn't suit my needs, or even if I just don't like the product, why should I prolong the dance of the transaction when I already know what my answer will be?  Why not just tell the rep no, respectfully, and move on?  It doesn't mean I'll never buy from him/her, just that a particular product isn't right at a particular time.  A waffling answer just wastes two people's time.

Even now, in my job search, I still prefer the direct approach.  I am in essence selling a product -- me -- to prospective employers.  If I'm a good fit for the job, by all means, tell me.  And if I'm not, tell me that too.  We save time, we part with respect, and we move on.

Sorry, but if your ego is damaged by hearing the word no instead of maybe, then you might be better off in another line of work.

1 comment:

  1. This person needs to get a grip, sales people better be ready for rejection or find another line of work.

    ReplyDelete